Saturday, November 10, 2012

Indeed the months have turned to minutes since arriving to Kenya on August 24 this year. I first stepped on rich African soil at 1:20am that morning and still can recall the exhausted yet friendly taxi driver who came to greet me at the Jomo airport. Driving me to the Mayfield Guest house, he pointed out zebras grazing in the fields. Minutes later I pointed out the Canon camera company. A lot has happened since then. In such a short slice of time, I've been given a tremendous opportunity to live in this beating society for Christ.

Recently I've come to make unique friendships developed on film shoots that led to conversations of Christ and their spiritual walk. I've quickly learned the term "Christian" does not represent ones deep faith, but merely acts as a social term when asked what they believe. "Born again Christian" carries the commitment and weight attached to a true Christian walk. After sitting down for lunch with my "Christian friend", we discussed our faith over burgers and fries. My dear friend believed there was a God, but did not believe everything written in the Bible. Astonished, I asked the Holy Spirit to give me words of wisdom. The next few hours I discovered that Christ can use us to share His word even when we don't think we are worthy or capable.

I asked him if the building we were in existed, he said yes. I asked if the building surrounding us existed, he agreed. I then asked if he has met the architecture who built these buildings. He said he hasn't. Then I asked if that means the builder of these buildings existed. He agreed there was an artist who built these buildings even though he never meet him. So, I asked him how is God any different. If He built something purposefully with structure to follow, how can we proceed to ignore the truth found in his Word. He created and built us, how can we ignore what he created. After some time of silence, he thanked me for taking time to share with him. It was AWESOME!

Opportunity after opportunity began to present itself from there. I already shared about my friend, Akim, who was in the middle of choosing Islam or Christianity. To this day I haven't seen him and often wonder if I will ever have the chance to meet with him again. I've been given opportunities to feed the ladies that wait for work outside of our compound. Once I brought peanut butter jelly sandwiches, chips, coke, and chocolate. I had no idea how much to make; so I prayed that God would provide much like he did in the feeding of the thousands. To my astonishment, there was exactly the right amount to feed everyone. I not only had the chance to share with them my food, but share the love of Christ.

We must continue to love and live for God and others. Even if you take ten minutes out of your life to say "hi" to someone we haven't seen in awhile, it makes a difference. Don't be afraid to invest your time in people. Remember that Christ is our core and we are founded in truth and love. Imagine a groom who's bride is so in love with him she would do anything to please him. Imagine a groom who is so perfect and just, your relationship with him affects others. Believe in Him and do his commandments. Read James 1. In this chapter it speaks of visiting the fatherless and widows and to keep yourself unspotted from the world. As Christians we have a higher calling in life. It's the small daily choice we make that determine who we are. As for me, I am a bond servant to Christ. Thank you always for your prayers and support. May the Lord bless you and shine upon you!

-David Sekiguchi

Evangelism Outreach in Kibera Slums with Ghetto Light Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment