Saturday, October 13, 2012

Flipping through photos on my computer always brings a smile to my face. In seconds memories lived years before come flooding back. Faces I haven’t seen for a distant time are warmer than my tea I slowly sip on. Laughter leaps from my mouth and into the room as I recall what is so commonly coined as, "The Good Times". In contrast there are the photos that remind us of hard times. Seasons when time presented itself as the enemy, or when we felt depressed an angry. As poor memories begin to resonate, the present day shatters these past dilemmas. An epiphany hits; just outside of these four walls lies a beautiful country called Kenya. A country that the Lord has called me to.

Tomorrow, I will pile in a car with four others and start a seven and a half to twelve hour car ride to a coastal region of Africa people call Malindi. Along this 576Km journey (Safari in Kiswahili), lies notorious and battered roads sure to make you jump right out of your seat. Something I've noticed since traveling by any set of wheels in Kenya is that people with car sickness suffer. Oh the joys of missions! So what demands this trip to the coast? Ah, glad you were wondering. Our movie script takes us to the remote location of the beach where power is cycled on and off through the day/night. I've been warned not to where any Christian garb, there are quite a few worries with elections coming up soon (in May) and Al-Shabab (not taking kindly to foreigners). It will be nice to enjoy the coast once again. However, something tells me it will be nothing like the Oregon coast.

Please continue to pray for me and the team! Pray for our safety and protection. Help us to be wise and also that good relationships be established with the locals. This is an exciting shoot and extends throughout the rest of the month (October). Most likely I not have frequent internet access, so please excuse the absence in updates. May the Lord our savior bless you! Remember, we serve a powerful and mighty God!

Photographing animals on a Safari

We saw a lion!

Sitting on top of the Safari van

Super cool monkey seemed to enjoy the attention

Cooling down in the shade towards the end of our trip

No comments:

Post a Comment